Monday, 18 October 2010

18 Oct 10

Well, it's been three months since my last blog. Better write another one.

Since my last blog, Michael has become Mikey (much more appropriate for a small boy I think), we've all bonded very well as a family and he's been sleeping through the night consistently for some weeks now. Something good to be said for establishing a routine. Although I'm still tired most of the time, I'm trying very hard not to be so snappy. As mentioned in my last blog, it has got better over time. And I did manage to get my laptop working again by re-installing the operating system from scratch.

I think I might have surprised a few people over the past 17 weeks. In the past, I was well known for steering clear of anything that involved children. I said at the time, it would be different when we had our own child. And it's true. I love being a dad. Yes it's hard work, but not averse to hard work. I have the duty of getting him changed and getting his bottle ready first thing in the morning before I go to work. In the evening, I (on the whole) put him to bed and we have lovely father-son bonding moments. I do sometimes play the "fretful father" card and check on him as he sleeps, but he is always comfortable and sleeping like a baby (oddly enough). This, of course, hasn't helped my insomnia as I still get up during the night on a routine basis.

It's been doubly hard these past few weeks with Heather's foot being damaged due to a torn ligament. It meant I had to do a lot of rushing around taking them over to the in-laws before work, then picking them up again afterwards. Heather's foot is better enough now that she can drive again.

Although I got grumpy during this period, it's only because I had a lot to do to make sure my family was safe, secure and comfortable. My family is the most important thing to me. My family. Listen to that. There were times when I never thought I'd say that. Many years ago, I decided that there was five things I'd need in order to make my life complete. They were a job, a car, a house, a wife and a child. This June, I had them all.

Today, I booked Christmas Eve off. That means I can spend from 24 Dec to Jan 3 with my family. I'm really in Dad Mode now, aren't I?

One mission I have right now is to lose weight. I want to be around to see my little boy grow up and I know I'm shortening my lifespan by being heavy. I'm trying to cut things out of my diet and do some more exercise.

1 comment:

Stats

Total Pageviews