Sunday, 25 January 2009

24 Jan 09


Well, we are now officially in a recession (no real surprise there). Things are still looking grim for everyone, especially me as I’m still out of work and have been for the last 12 weeks (as of last Wednesday). Since I left in October last year, I’ve applied for exactly 100 jobs, but only had interviews for two of them. That’s a success rate of getting to the interview stage of 2%. Not good in anyone’s books.

I went to a jobs fair in Maidstone on Friday and gave my CV to a few people. When I got home, I found that I got an interview for a Systems Admin Analyst at one of Kent’s NHS Primary Care Trusts on Tuesday afternoon. That’s a third interview. It sounds like a good job with plenty of hard work, but that’s no different from what I was doing before so I’d look forward to getting back to it if I got it.

One thing that redundancy does to you (if you’ve been working a long time) is how it takes away your sense of identity. While I was at the jobs fair on Friday, people kept asking “What do you do?” I have to tell them that I “used” to be an IT Manager. I’m sure a lot of people would enjoy having three months off work, but when you are faced with financial hardship and the risk of losing your home, there is little chance of relaxing. Indeed, sleeping has become very fragmented recently and Heather has even bought me a book from Paul McKenna to try and re-introduce good sleeping habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats

Total Pageviews