
The torment is over!
After 3 months and 12 days, I got a call last night from my new boss offering me the job of Systems / Network Engineer at the Medway PCT. Although salary, start dates, etc. still have to be arranged, I verbally accepted the post. It has brought a certain amount of relief to my previously troubled mind. Yesterday, I looked back on my months of work related exile and got pretty frustrated. Just recently, I’ve found myself getting into a rage over the simplest of things. At the weekend, I got angry with an airer of all things, just because it impeded my access to the kitchen. Yesterday, I got angry at Sainsbury’s just because there weren’t enough little barriers on the Basket Only checkout. After that, everything little thing got me more and more annoyed to the point that I was screaming at other drivers before I got home. Sainsbury’s is only 5 minutes drive away from home.
Since the end of October, I’ve applied for well over 100 jobs, but only got interviews for three of them, so I’ve had a success rate of getting to interview of about 2%-3%. That’s bad!!! However, on reflection and bearing in mind the state of the world right now, it can be argued that I’d done pretty well. At least I got to get some interviews. I know that being out of work for three months is a long time in normal circumstances, but in the middle of one of the most severe recessions in living history, I guess I’m lucky to get this. I know of some people who’ve been out of work for six months and even longer. I’ll just be glad to get back to work and start getting my IT skills moving again. One thing that redundancy does for you is that it takes away you sense of identity. I had to seriously think about changing my career and having done IT work all my life, it was a scary thought.
I don’t know my start date yet, but I believe it will be in the first week of March. That will mean that I would have been out of work for just over four months. I’m a bit rusty, so I hope I can get back to things quickly with me new employers.
No comments:
Post a Comment