Tuesday, 26 January 2010

26 Jan 10

This week, I'm on a course in Reading, which is designed to train me on how to manage a Dell SAN (Storage Area Network). Both Heather and Mum asked me what the course was for, but to be honest, until you are an IT bod like me, it goes over most people's heads.

The trip up was fine. I went on the bullet train and couldn't believe how fast it was. However, going through the Tube and then onto old rolling stock to Reading (which I ended up having to stand all the way) wasn't so nice.

Once I found the Travelodge, I settled in to my rather spartan room. Only a TV, bed and basic tea/coffee arrangements. No literature, paintings or even net curtains. Still, the training centre is just across the road from the station and the hotel is 10 minutes walk away in central Reading.

Sleeping last night was a joke! I found the bed uncomfortable the previous night. Last night was no better. I can't leave the window open, as it's too noisy outside (what with a main road and various drunk people yelling). What was worse was that at 12:45am and later at 3:45am, some people staying on the same floor as me decided to walk through the corridors talking at the tops of their voices. Pulling me out of a dream is never a good idea. It's wasn't a particularly interesting dream, but I felt disorientated having been woken up halfway through it. From 4am to 7am, I slept well, but it wasn't enough.

I've just struggled through Period 1 of today's training, fighting to stay awake. I'm a little concerned about what I'm eating up here at the moment. I don't want to rely on fast food joints all week. I had KFC last night and felt decided ill and stuffed all evening. I think I'll go for sandwiches and a salad tonight. A lighter option I think might help me sleep better. I'll also be trying to find some earplugs, Kalms and water this evening to see if I can sleep a little deeper.

Lunch is provided by the training centre and comprises of various weird and wonderful sarnies. Today's variety included coronation chicken, egg and bacon and a number of more unusual items. Today's was brie and beetroot. Yesterday, we had brie and celery and there was also an apple and stilton available. I have to admit, there were rather nice.

All being said, I'd rather be at home.

1 comment:

  1. If you're in Reading...

    http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/57/5726/Nags_Head/Reading

    Have a pint for me :o)

    ReplyDelete

Stats

Total Pageviews