Monday, 19 April 2010

19 Apr 10

The last time I blogged was back in January where I was on a course in Reading. Today, I'm on an SQL course in London. Perhaps I have more time to blog when I'm on courses.

I got the 7:43 high speed train to St Pancras. No problems there, only took 36 minutes. I thought it would be a easy walk to the training centre. How wrong was I? I'd barely go 200 yards when my feet started to get sore. I am so out of shape. Still had to press on.

The map showed a relatively easy route from station to training centre. However, I took a wrong turn and ended up circling the training centre before actually finding it. Thanl God I had my satnav with me to figure out where I was going, as at one point, I was walking further and further away from it.

Having got there, I was soon joined by two of my NHS colleagues, who had come in via Cannon Street.

There was something unusual about this course. A female delegate!!!! Normally, all the IT courses I go one are full of men (as I mainly do technical courses). However, we have a lady in our midst this time.

The first part of the course was fine, but in the second part (between coffee and lunch), there was a lot of theory, which always makes me drop off. Fortunately, we had a lab exercise to carry out which is hands on, so a chance to wake up a little.

Usually on these course, you either get lunch (infrequently) or they give you Luncheon Vouchers. Not such offer this time. I guess the recession has forced them to cut back on non-essentials (bit tight really, considering how expensive IT courses are). I found a Pret-A-Manger not far away and got a Salmon sandwich and a Cheese and Pickle roll.

The third section wasn't any better, made worse by having lunch before it. I wish that they would do the boring stuff in the mornings and practical stuff in the afternoon. At least, you wouldn't be tempted to nod off.

The final section wasn't too bad, as we finished on a lab. Just about to give my feet a pounding and head to the station and back home.

Heather has gone to the doctors this afternoon, as she is not feeling well. I hate being away from home at this late stage of her pregnancy. Only luckily that I can get back relatively quickly this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats

Total Pageviews