Today, I returned to the hospital at 8am to find that Heather had had a comfortable night and that there was little change. As the doctors did their rounds, I had to leave and decided to get some water from one of the onsite shops. I returned to the ITU and waited to be allowed back in.
I was told that they would try and wake her up this morning, but as they were short staffed, it would be delayed until the afternoon. Heather’s mum joined me at 10:30am I was joined at midday by my own mum and brother. I was really nice to have people around me to talk to. I think I would have gone insane sitting their watching Heather’s monitors all day on my own. At some point during the day, the fire alarm was set off by some building work taking place downstairs. Fortunately, they have an action plan in case of this sort of things. Fortunately, it was all sorted out and no action was needed. At about 1:45pm, I decided to take a break and get some lunch. I met Mum and Martin in the Coffee Bar and have a torpedo and a coffee. I also managed to find a car parking attendant, so I could sort out parking for a week. Otherwise, it would have become hideously expensive.
Mum and Martin had to leave at 3:45pm, but said that they would take care of Gizmo and the house in our absence. Apparently, Gizmo had thrown up in the living room again!!! I found out that Heather’s sister Nicky was going to visit that afternoon and she arrived at 4:30pm with her husband Matthew (Miff). While she and her mum sat with Heather, Miff and I went to try and find a coffee, but the Coffee Bar closes at 5pm. We also found that the shops also closed at 5pm, so we did a tour of the hospital and tried the main restaurant, which was open. Luckily, we found that the shop in reception was open until 8pm. That’s good to know.
After Nicky and Miff left, Heather’s Dad arrived after interviewing all day. We chatted for a while before they had to leave. I got a bit emotional at this stage and decided I would leave before my planned 7:45pm departure time.
It’s hard to see the one you love laying there with tubes, medications and monitors attached, not being able to communicate with each other. I think that fact that I cant talk to my wife and best friend is what’s breaking my heart more than everything else. Today is the first day since we’ve been married that we haven’t talked to each other.
I’ll try to get some more rest this evening. Last night was a little rough. I tried to stop my mind from thinking too much when I’m not with her, but it always wanders.
I just want her back.
No comments:
Post a Comment