The morning was my first day back at work since Heather was admitted to hospital. It was a little strange going back to work and I felt a little guilty about not being with Heather, but they do say that being with the patient all the time doesn’t do them or you any good. Besides, I didn’t want to overreach the generosity that my boss has given me over this. He said that if I needed any more time off, then just to take it. I may well take him up on that offer should circumstances dictate, but for now, Heather is doing very well.
As I wasn’t going in early, I tried to call the hospital for an overnight update, but I couldn’t get through. However, Heather’s sister Nicky sent me a text when she and Heather’s Mum arrived to tell me that she was sitting in a chair when they entered the ward. She told them that she had had porridge and orange juice for breakfast too. Now, I know that doesn’t sound unusual, but the other day, she wasn’t able to pick up a spoon or lift a glass, so this is another step forward. She also told them that she had been kept awake during the night by the man in the next bed. He’s got emphysema and makes a lot of loud coughs and gurgling noise, which would put a healthy person of eating, let alone someone who is convalescing.
During the morning, Nicky and Margaret spoken to the doctors to see if anything could be done about the noise levels. At least the staff had sorted out one major problem Heather had been suffering with. They had found her a fan!! So at least she could now keep cool.
At 1:30pm, I got a call from Nicky to say that they were leaving and gave me a progress report. Heather was going to go back to bed after spending the morning in the chair. In her weakened state, she tires quiet easily. However, she had managed to have lunch of chicken and ham pie, although she did leave her cabbage (that’s my girl!!). Nicky also told me that the MRI results had come through and that I should ask for one of the doctors to explain the results, but for what they had been told, the news wasn’t as bad as it could have been. She also told me that Heather had been fascinated by Nicky’s necklace. She didn’t say any more than that, but Heather did bring it up when I visited later in the day (Nicky, I’m going to have to see this necklace to find out why Heather likes it so much).
I finished work a little early so I could drive to Canterbury and managed to get through the busy Canterbury traffic to arrive about 3:50pm. Heather was indeed back in bed, looking a little exhausted. We did have one momentous occasion to carry out however. Since she first went for her operation over three weeks ago, I’ve been carrying her wedding ring around with me, as she wasn’t allowed to have it on during the operation. As the MRI scan required all metal to be removed from the body and now it’s over, it seemed like a good time to give her the ring back. She held out her right hand and without realising it, I got down on one knee and put the ring back on her finger. Maybe it’s an omen. Ever since that ring has been off her finger, she’s not been herself. Maybe putting it back where it belongs with somehow restore the balance. I know, it’s not scientific, but what the hey?
I had a quick word with one of the doctors about the results of the MRI scan, but I’ll explain more about that later on.
At 4:30pm, we were told that they were going to move Heather back to Ward F where she started in Kingston Ward last Friday. Ward F is a rehab ward, whereas Ward B is an acute ward. She is obviously no longer in need of an acute ward’s services, unlike some other poor man who was going to take Heather’s place in bed B4. So, Chris and one of the nurses moved Heather and her bed, Sally moved her locker and I moved her large chair down to Ward F and took up her new home in bed F5. This ward is very quite and she is right by the window (and a large panoramic window it is.) At least, she should be able to sleep better down there (she needs it)
At 5:20pm, Dad and Jan arrived. Jan went off to find one of the doctors to get more information about the scan, while Dad entertained Heather. When Jan came back, she had gathered a fair bit of information. The MRI scan had shown up a blood clot the size of a pinprick. They can investigate this clot a lot more when they have the digital images of the MRI scan (they have been using hard copies up until now). This is something that they can prevent from occurring again by medication. The damage caused by this clot can be dealt with by rehabilitation. She had also found out more about her heart problem. Again, she has been receiving medication to slow down the blood flow into and out of the heart, which takes pressure away from it and stops it from working quite so hard. Her speech will be looked after by an ENT specialist who will help her with vocal exercises. Her ability to stand up and walk will be taken care of by physiotherapy. She has a gym appointment tomorrow, which I hope to attend. I will be a key part of her rehab once she gets home, so I’ll need to know what I need to do.
As Dad and Jan left, the lady in the bed next to her asked if he wouldn’t mind turning on the TV, which he did. Although there was a TV on the wall in Ward B, it was never turned on. So, this means that she will have something else to keep her entertained during the day.
Chippy and Sam arrived about 6:20pm. I saw Heather face light up, as they came through the door. Heather was Best Man at their wedding and we’ve been close friends for some years. The last time they saw her was in the William Harvey, a few hours before she got taken to the KCH.
After an hour of general chat, I could see that she was getting tired, so we all left together with the hope that her new surroundings would give her a good night’s sleep. I hope she gets one. She needs it.
No comments:
Post a Comment