Tuesday, 24 June 2008

23 Jun 08 - Heather in hospital Day 38

Today is Heather's last full day in hospital. This morning, Mum and I were busy making final preparations at home ready for her return. The occupational therapy teams delivered various bits of equipment for her to use during her convalescense, including raising her sofa by several inches.

Once done, I went to the hospital for the last time. Before I set off, I got a couple of texts from Heather. One to say that she was definitely getting out on Tuesday and the second to say that she may not have had a stroke after all.

When I got to the hospital, I quizzed her on her texts. Having spoken with the neurologist in the morning, it turns out that the effects of the infection may have been confused for the symptoms of a stroke. It certainly explains a great many things.

She is getting more and more bored in there and what is making things worse is that she is now next to a woman who calls out "Help" every five minutes (either that or "Toffee Tofu" - whatever that means")

I'm sure even now she is counting down the minutes before she can come home. It's going to be good to have her home again. We can get back to a bit of normality again, even with a few slight changes. But we must continue with the good work. Both of us need to lose weight and we must keep a closer check on each others health. If this nightmare has taught us anything, it's that life is too precious to waste. We can't spend our weekends sitting around at home anymore. We need to live our lives and enjoy what the world has to offer. As Captain Picard once said "Time is a predator that stalks our lives" and it's true. One minute, you think things are taking forever. Next, you wonder where the time has gone.

As the Kids From Fame say "The Secret of Life. Celebrate life in every way you can. Just jump right in and live it, every single minute"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats

Total Pageviews