I arrived today just after 10am. Heather was sitting in her chair and I could see that she had had scrambled eggs for breakfast. Clearly, the dietician’s instructions were getting through. We spend some time going through Heather’s bills so she knows what’s been paid and what hasn’t.
Just after 11am, Nicky, Miff and Jake arrived. Jake gave Heather a big hug and Nicky had brought along a care package of various food items and the necklace that Heather had taken a fancy to the other day. Miff had brought along his laptop again, but this time had loaded on the photos taken of Jake’s birthday party. After watching the slideshow, Heather played a few games of Spider Solitaire with Jake’s help. While this was going on, the rest of us took turns playing Jake’s game based on noughts and crosses.
They left as lunch was being served. Today, Heather had roast chicken, roast potatoes and chocolate pudding. We did order gravy with it, but it didn’t have it. The potatoes were rather dry without it, so Heather left them. However, the chocolate pudding went down well. During lunch, her friend from Germany Almut called. She “ordered” Heather to get well during their brief chat. We also sorted out what meals Heather was going to have tomorrow.
At 12:48pm, Heather was taken for a shower. This was organised a few days ago and I know she’s been looking forward to it, especially the chance to wash her hair. I went for lunch during her shower and as soon as I got back, Heather had just returned. She looked much better for her shower, though her hair was wet, as they are not allowed to use hairdryers for insurance reasons (!). However, we called Heather’s Mum and arranged to have one brought in to dry her hair.
Later on, Heather revealed why yesterday she thought the hospital was a former school. She thought she was in Norwich High School for Girls. She does know she’s in Canterbury, but sometimes she gets a little confused.
At 2pm, Dad and Jan arrived and kept Heather company for half an hour.
Just before 3pm, Heather’s parents arrived, laden down with food supplies and a hairdryer. Her mum set about drying her daughter’s hair and once she had finished, Heather’s hair looked like it normally does. She must show it to the girls in ITU when she gets discharged. They were very jealous of how thick her hair was during her time there.
Heather then tucked into some of the supplies that her parents had brought. Because the raspberries didn’t have cream with them, she opened up the chocolate dessert that they had also brought and used the cream from the top of it with her raspberries. Of course, that meant eating BOTH desserts at once!! Oh well, it’s not like she doesn’t need the calorie intake right now.
After her parents left, I helped her get changed and get back into bed. Her feet were cold, so I covered them up with a blanket. Tea arrived at 5:30pm, but Heather wasn’t very hungry, only eating a few bites of her sandwiches. She is getting very bored in there now, but at least during the week; she should be kept busy with visits from physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dieticians and speech therapists.
In the meantime, I’m trying to get friends to visit in the evenings to give her something to look forward to. Nothing has been set so far this week, so come on guys, check the calendar mentioned in the previous blogs and come and see her.
I’ve just ordered the shopping for the week. It’ll arrive on Tuesday night after 9pm. I’m still struggling to get things done at home. I know I have offers of help from many people, but these are tasks that only I can do. Time is what I have a lack of at the moment, what with work during the day and visiting Heather afterwards. Doesn’t leave a lot of time to do these chores. I’m sure I’ll manage.
No comments:
Post a Comment