Wednesday, 18 June 2008

17 Jun 08 - Heather in hospital Day 32

I got a text from Heather’s Dad this morning, as he and Heather’s Mum were visiting her this morning. Heather has now been given some crutches to help with her walking (though she insists on using them as weapons). As they arrived, Heather was just returning from the gym and her mobility has much improved over the last 24 hours. Yesterday, she could only get around very slowly with the aid of a frame. Today, she was walking around (albeit slowly) with the crutches. They also found that she had no breakfast this morning, as the hospital had run out of scrambled eggs. Fortunately, Heather’s Mum had brought in some scones and jam plus some “Nanny Buns” (if you don’t already know what those are, they are buns that Margaret usually makes for Jake, hence the name).

The physio team had given Heather another of the carer’s questionnaires that I brought home the other day. I just haven’t gotten round to filling it in yet. John wrote down a few notes of things he’d like to see Heather be able to do before being discharged to add to the things that I’d like her to be able to do. He left his notes with Heather so I could check them over when I arrived.

I got to the hospital after work arriving by about 3:30pm. Heather explained her day to me and I found the forms that she was given earlier. Kelly, one of the occupational therapy team along gave me another form to fill in. This one was to find out about various heights and measures for things at home like Heather’s sofa, our bed, toilet, steps, etc. to make sure that Heather could cope with them on her return. If they are not suitable, they will be able to provide us with some equipment to use while Heather is convalescing.

About 4:15pm, the unit doctor came round doing ward rounds. He seemed very pleased with Heather’s progress, referring to us as “the team”. With regard to her vocal cord problems, he seemed convinced that the problem may correct itself. This was good news, as Heather was not keen on another operation (neither was I really, though it may still happen). I also asked him about what was going to happen next regarding her kidney stone. He said he would arrange for a member of the urological team to come up and see us at some point.

After his visit, I set about filling in the occupational therapy forms, which included questions like how I was coping at home and how we expect Heather to be when she leaves hospital. Using John’s notes as well as my own questions, I filled out the questionnaire and gave it to a member of the physio team.

Supper arrived about 5:15pm. Rather crushed looking turkey sandwiches. Luckily, I had the good sense to get some sandwiches from Tesco during my lunch break today. They were the same as I took in yesterday, but Heather didn’t seem to mind.

At 5:30pm, Dad and Jan arrived for a half hour visit. After they had left and Heather had been given her medication, the nurse said that she could go outside if she wanted to. As it was a nice afternoon and Heather was more than up for it. Once I had her secured in her wheelchair, I took her through the hospital and out into the grassy area outside the main entrance. She seemed to enjoy the fresh air, but she was a little cold so we only stayed out for a couple of minutes. Maybe we can stay outside longer tomorrow.

By 6:30pm when we got back, Heather was tired and I helped her get changed and into bed. After all, it was another busy day and she gets tired easily.

Tomorrow, physio are going to try getting her walking on some stairs to see how her handles them and occupational therapy will she handles various kitchen tasks to see if she can look after herself at home (in a very basic way). She has visitor through the day, including a visit from her boss in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats

Total Pageviews