Saturday, 21 June 2008

20 Jun 08 - Heather in hospital Day 35

I got a text from Heather at work this morning to tell me that she was having sausage sandwiches for breakfast. Made my yoghurt and banana look pretty tame. I asked if she could wangle a steak for lunch. No such luck sadly.

While at work, I got another text about lunchtime telling me that she had had a CT scan on her throat. No results have yet come through and we’re not going to hear anything more until Monday I suspect.

After work, I drove the fifty minute trip from Larkfield to Canterbury and found Heather tired and bored on her bed. I tried to cheer her up with the sandwich I bought for tea, both of which were variations of salmon. I also bought her a large bar of Galaxy, which as many will know is her favourite chocolate. I noticed that she had a new cannula in her left hand. I thought the days of having things added to her person were over. It turns out they needed to inject some dye into her in order to do the CT scan. I suspect it won’t be in there for long.

She told me of Nicky, Margaret and Jake’s visit in the morning and the fact that physio came looking for her this morning when she was having her scan. That means no physio until Monday. Never mind. Now she is back on her feet, we can always go for walks around the hospital. She had a hankering for cheese and onion crisps this afternoon. I said I would bring some in, but she wanted them there and then. Then I thought, hang on, why don’t we go downstairs to the shop and just get some. So, I got her into the wheelchair and off we went.

During our trip, we met up with the husband of one of the other patients whom Heather was with on Kingston Ward B. She was moved into Ward F with Heather this afternoon, so it was sort of like a mini-reunion. Lillian, who was stationed opposite Heather, has been moved up the corridor to one of the acute wards. Her condition isn’t improving, so I guess they need to keep an eye on her.

Now that Heather is nearing discharge, there isn’t a lot to tell you. Dr Costar was working on her discharge papers earlier, but we’ve heard nothing more. I have occupational therapy paying me two visits on Monday. One to fit her sofa with risers so it’s easy for her to get in and out of it. Another to deliver various pieces of equipment for her use.

Over the weekend, I’m going to get some keys to the house cut so that my Mum, Heather’s parents and her sister can let themselves in when they want to visit. I’ve also got a crew of friends coming round on Sunday morning to help me tidy up the house to make it safe and clean for Heather’s return. There will be nothing worse than Heather coming home after five weeks in hospital only to trip over a piece of our junk. As I’m home on Monday for the O.T. teams, Mum will be popping round to help me finish off the cleaning process.

This time next week, Heather should be home and hopefully, you’ll be able to read her blogs too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats

Total Pageviews