I arrived at 11am at the hospital, a little later than normal as I had trouble getting out of bed this morning, thanks to Gizmo waking me up at 6am and making me want to get back to sleep for a couple of hours. When I got to her ward, I found Heather sitting in her chair and dressed. She had been in her chair since 7:30am this morning and was looking a little tired and bored. Thankfully, I had brought along something to distract her. I managed to download the final of The Apprentice using BBC iPlayer, so we watched that together. It killed a good hour anyway and she appreciated it.
She had a cup of lemon tea after the programme and for the first time managed to drink the whole cup. Usually, she takes a few sips and doesn’t touch it anymore. Lunch came at 12:25am. It was a rather unappealing and touch Irish stew and rhubarb crumble. I went to have lunch while she had hers, so I don’t know if she finished it or not. John and Margaret called us from Waitrose to ask what Heather would like if they brought her some food in that she might like. We gave them a list and waited for their arrival.
After a little snooze, Tom came round and wanted to weigh Heather. She stood up from the chair (with help) and sat down on the specialised weighing chair. I won’t tell you how much she weighed, but suffice it to say since being in hospital, she has lost two stone!!!
Her parents arrived at 2:39pm, bringing with them the food supplies they bought from Waitrose. Among the goodies were some Raspberry muffins (one for Heather, one for me), a raspberry trifle jelly, two cans of fiery ginger beer, an Atlantic prawn sandwich and a bottle of Lipton Ice Tea
Mid afternoon came and Heather decided to tuck into the sandwich and ginger beer. No trouble with either and she really enjoyed them. Not wishing to degrade hospital food, but the afternoon meal is a little boring, so these items would provide a healthy release.
Her parents left at 4:30pm, but by then Heather was getting tired and wanted to go back to bed. I tried to help her get back in, but couldn’t manage it entirely on my own. Later on, I also got her changed into her nice clean nightie that I washed and dried overnight. Supper arrived at 5:30pm. It was the predictable sandwich and ice cream. Heather decided she would prefer her raspberry jelly and I don’t blame her.
After supper, I left her with today’s paper and left for the day. Tomorrow is a day that she has been waiting for for some time. Jake is going to visit. Expect an emotional blog tomorrow.
She has said it's OK for other people to visit now. For more information, please read the blog before this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment